Cell culture is extensively used in molecular and cellular biology to study the physiology and biochemistry of cells (aging, metabolic studies, etc.), effects of drugs and biomolecules on cells, and carcinogenesis and mutagenesis studies. Using a batch of clonal cells, cell culture enables consistency and reproducibility of results for any of the aforementioned applications.
According to a report published by Transparency Market Research (TMR), the global cell culture market will display a moderate 7.1% CAGR from 2014 to 2022. Increasing from US$6,097.0 million in 2013, the market is poised to be valued at US$11,314.5 million in 2022.
Browse The Market Research Report of Cell Culture Market:
Major application areas of cell culture are cancer research, gene therapy, drug screening and monitoring, drug discovery, disease diagnosis, biologic manufacturing, recombinant proteins, stem cell research, and IVF technology. Development of research model systems, study of cellular structure and functions, and genetic engineering are some other application areas of cell culture.
The TMR study explains the factors that will positively influence the cell culture market in the coming years:
- Increase in demand for biopharmaceutical products is majorly contributing to the adoption of cell culture practices and techniques.
- Double-digit growth of the biopharmaceuticals and biotechnology sectors will boost the cell culture market substantially.
- Strong pipeline for vaccines, antibodies, and proteins using mammalian culture in the biologic drugs market is leading to continuous demand for cell culture.
- Increasing application of cell culture technology in cancer detection and regenerative medicine for artificial organ production is widening the scope of the cell culture market.
- Advanced medical technologies such as stem cell therapy exclusively work on eliminating the root cause of diseases, which is a significant advantage over conventional treatments, which often only work to eliminate symptoms. Due to such reasons, cell culture is finding increased scope for such treatment therapies.
- Large investments and research initiatives by life sciences companies and extensive industry and academic ventures is benefitting the cell culture market.
- Cell and tissue culture model systems are employed for studying cellular mechanisms pertaining to diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s, and for evaluating drug response, which is one of the most beneficial uses of the technology. Growing prevalence of these chronic diseases is helping the cell culture market.
Magnetic levitation facilitated 3D cell culturing, nanoparticle-enabled magnetic levitation, and recombinant DNA are some new culture technologies that hold immense potential for the cell culture market.
In a rare move, the UK’S MHRA (Medicine and Healthcare products Regulatory) has taken an initiative to ‘future-proof’ the mammalian cell culture production unit of contract manufacturing organization (CMO) Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, based in Billingham, UK. This is because of the CMO’s early and frequent engagement with the regulatory body, and has resulted in an agreement that will ensure the facility’s operations will carry on regardless of potentially unfavorable regulatory changes in the future. It has been called the first purpose-built facility in Europe to have the license for the utilization of single-use technology and hardware all through the manufacturing operations.
Browse Press Release of Cell Culture Market:
Cell culture is an integral component of the life sciences market. Ever-increasing research and development activities in both developed and developing regions hold promise for the cell culture market.