Ostomy drainage bags refer to a prosthetic medical device, which is used for collecting waste discharged from the body after an ostomy procedure. Ever-increasing geriatric population worldwide, rising prevalence of colorectal cancer, rising awareness about ostomy and associated procedures, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and Crohn’s disease collectively account for the rising demand for ostomy drainage bags.
Estimates from a recent market study by Transparency Market Research (TMR) are that the global market for ostomy drainage bags is expected to reach US$2759.5 million in 2022, increasing from US$1829.6 million in 2013, growing at a 4.7% CAGR from 2014 to 2022.
Ostomy is performed to make an opening (stoma) from a section inside the body to the exterior. Ostomy treats digestive or urinary conditions, including both organ removal and treatment. The small intestine, rectum, colon, or bladder are the organs associated with ostomy. With an ostomy, a new way is created for wastes to leave the body.
Browse The Market Research Report of Ostomy Drainage Bags Market:
During ostomy, the stoma created can be of two types: loop stoma and end stoma.
- End Stoma: An end stoma is made in the ileum (terminating part of the small intestine), called end ileostomy, or at the end of the colon, called end colostomy.
- Loop Stoma: A loop stoma is created either in the colon (‘loop colostomy’) or ileum (‘loop ileostomy’). A loop stoma is generally created if the stoma is temporary.
Global Support Programs for Ostomates Promising for Market
The International Ostomy Association Coordination Committee (IOA CC), a conglomerate of Regional Ostomy Associations, works towards improving the life quality of ostomates and individuals with associated surgeries all across the world.
Accredited associations all over the world commemorate October 6 as World Ostomy Day to raise awareness and alleviate misconceptions associated with ostomy and the usage of ostomy drainage bags.
The research study touches upon the factors that will direct the course of ostomy procedures worldwide and thus of the overall market for ostomy drainage bags:
- According to statistics from Administration on Aging (AoA), in the U.S. in 2014, 12.9% of the population comprised individuals aged 65 and above, and the geriatric population is expected to constitute close to 19% of the total population by 2030. This will be a significant factor for demand for ostomy procedures to increase in the country.
- Likewise, in the U.K, as per the Office for National Statistics, the median population age increased from 35.4 to 39.7 years over the 25-year period 1985 to 2010. Increasing average age of the populace will lead to high prevalence of diseases, requiring more ostomy procedures and thus generating demand for ostomy drainage bags.
- Favorable reimbursement policies pertaining to ostomy drainage bags, especially in Europe, are encouraging patients to undertake ostomy procedures, which is accentuating growth of the overall market for ostomy drainage bags.
- Colostomy accounts as the largest ostomy procedure owing to high incidence of colorectal cancer, combined with high awareness about colostomy.
- State agencies such as Cancer Treatment Centers of America in the U.S. and the Colostomy Association in the U.K. are continually engaged in raising public awareness about colostomy and associated products for colostomy management.
Browse The Press Release of Ostomy Drainage Bags Market:
The global ostomy drainage bags market is dominated by large product manufacturers. However, significant presence of generic and local product manufacturers is eroding their market share, especially in cost-sensitive markets such as those in Africa and Asia Pacific.