Inhalation and Nasal Spray Generic Drugs Market to Rise thanks to Enhanced Efficiency and Better Compliance of Combination Drugs
The increasing occurrence of respiratory diseases, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma, and the soaring count of generic manufacturers are amongst the prime factors fuelling the growth inhalation and nasal spray generic drugs market. In terms of drug class, the market is segmented into corticosteroids, bronchodilators, antihistamines, combinations, and decongestant sprays.
Transparency Market Research (TMR), a market intelligence company, throws light on the prime properties and medical applications of these drugs, thus providing highlights on their scope in the coming years.
- Corticosteroids: These are a class of steroid hormones and function in a broad range of physiological processes such as immune response, stress response, carbohydrate metabolism, blood electrolyte levels, behavior, and protein catabolism. Synthetic pharmaceutical drugs having effects like corticosteroids are utilized in various conditions ranging from skin diseases to brain tumors. Dexamethasone and its derivatives deliver some mineralocorticoid action along with glucocorticoid impact. On the other hand, hydrocortisone is used in replacement therapies such as congenital hyperplasia and adrenal insufficiency.
- Bronchodilators: Bronchodilators are substances responsible for dilating the bronchioles and bronchi and thus decreasing the resistance within the respiratory airway, along with raising airflow to the lungs. Bronchodilators could be endogenous or could be medications administered for treating breathing difficulties. These medications are extremely useful for obstructive lung diseases, amongst which chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma are the most common ones.
- Antihistamines: An antihistamine is a kind of pharmaceutical drug utilized for opposing the activity of histamine receptors within the human body. Antihistamines have been classified according to the histamine receptor they act upon. The 2 biggest classes of antihistamines are H2-antihistamines and H1-antihistamines. Amongst these, antihistamines targeting the histamine H1-receptor are utilized for the treatment of allergic reactions of the nose and for insomnia. On the other hand, antihistamines targeting the histamine H2-receptor are utilized for the treatment of gastric acid conditions such as acid reflux and peptic ulcers, among others.
- Combinations: Combination drugs are formulations comprising 2 or more drugs in variable quantities. These drugs include Formoterol/budesonide, Salmeterol/fluticasone, Azelastine/benzalkonium chloride, and others. Amongst these, Salmeterol/fluticasone is a formulation utilized in the management of COPD and asthma. On the other hand, Formoterol/budesonide is a combination of 2 medicines utilized for controlling asthma symptoms as well as improving lung function. The segment of combination drugs led the market for inhalation and nasal spray generic drugs in 2014 and constituted a share of 38.8% in the market owing to enhanced efficiency and better compliance of combination drugs.
- Decongestant Sprays: These sprays are utilized for temporarily relieving sinus, ear symptoms, and stuffy nose caused by flu, allergies, the common cold, and other breathing illnesses such as bronchitis and sinusitis. Some of these decongestant sprays shrink blood vessels within the nasal passage, as dilated blood vessels can result in nasal congestion. The two most common decongestant sprays are oxymetazoline hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride.
Browse Research Press Release:
Thus, owing to the benefits of inhalation and nasal spray generic drugs, the market for the same is poised to rise exponentially in the coming years. However, strict regulatory policies dealing with the use of generic drugs within emerging countries may inhibit the growth of the market in forthcoming years.